Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thank God I'm a (converted) Country Girl

Those of you who knew me growing up are probably just as shocked as I am that I am THRILLED over the fact that as of last night at 5pm, hubby and I are now the proud owners of 94 acres of farm and woodland! Despite the fact I always said I wanted to marry a city-rancher kinda guy, I grew up in the middle of a subdivision in Colorado and never imagined myself actually living on 94 acres with no neighbors, but I'm looking forward to it. Still not sure I'll really get into the whole feeding the cows early every morning, but that's what my hubs is for; I'll just make sure to have a hearty breakfast ready for him when he's done.

This land really is an awesome piece because when you're on it you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, yet it's only 5 minutes from where we live now which is smack dab in the middle of a Northeastern "bedroom" community. I think we just bought the last piece of land in town...most residents don't even know there still is farmland in town.

It's nerve-wrecking and exciting at the same time. It's scary not knowing exactly where the money for a third monthly mortgage will come from (until we sell off our "flip" house we bought a couple years ago and we convert the other mortgage back to hubs parents), but we prayed over this land numerous times asking the Lord to provide if it'd be His will for us to own it. He's come through so far and I'm sure He'll continue to do so.

We have our application in the works for farmland preservation and once that comes through it should be paid in full in a little over a year. What an awesome opportunity for our future family and for ministry. Church bonfire anyone?

This weekend is one of our first meetings with the modular home builder we're hoping to use for the "guest" house that we plan to build first. Our hope is to build a 3-stall garage with a 1400-1500 sq. ft 2-bed, 2-bath "ranch" on top. Hubby & I will live there until we can off-load the other two mortgages and then use that money to build our main house. We'd then love to loan out the guest house to family, friends, missionaries, etc. who are looking for an affordable (most likely free) place to stay short-term.

I'm still shocked that I'm wanting to stay living in the state where we reside given it's incredibly high property taxes, but the fact that we're getting plugged into a great church and had this awesome opportunity for a little slice of heaven is changing things...plus it allows hubby to stay in politics (providing he wins his second re-election this November).

Ya, I think I can gladly say, "Thank God I'm a country girl!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.