Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Thursday, November 12, 2009

Homemade Granola

I finally remembered to grab the recipe from home so I could post this. My hubby loves having a snack of granola and yogurt. I’ve been meaning to make him some more homemade granola for a long time but kept putting it off because I had remembered it as a long process. Well my memory didn’t serve me correctly because making homemade granola couldn’t be easier. And, when my mom-in-law tells me she bought all the ingredients for it because I make the best, it’s hard to say no.

So, a couple weekends ago I whipped up a batch and we’ve been enjoying it ever since. Thought you might enjoy the recipe too. I have to thank hubby’s aunt for passing it on to me.

First, place whatever nuts you desire in a pan and toast them to develop their full flavor. As Rachael Ray says, “your nose knows” when they’re done. Just keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.

toasting nuts

This time I used sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, ground flax seed, and slivered almonds.

Meanwhile, in microwave safe bowl, combine these ingredients:

brown sugar, honey & oil

Microwave until the sugar starts to dissolve and it’s easy to stir.

In a LARGE bowl, measure out 10 cups of oats.

oats and nuts

Add your toasted nuts and stir to combine.

Pour on the liquid ingredients and stir until all the oats and nuts are moistened.

oats, nuts and sticky ingredients

Next, add in whatever dried fruit you like.

add raisins

I used golden raisins and craisins. I’ve used dried cherries and blueberries before which is also very yummy. Stir until the fruit is evenly distributed.

In a parchment lined jelly roll pan, spread the granola in a layer that is about 1/2” thick.

spread in pan

Bake in a preheated oven until the edges are browned and the middle starts to feel firm to the touch.

NOTE: You’ll think you need to bake it longer than you actually do. When you pull it out of the oven, it will still be kind of sticky and soft. As it cools it will harden. Once the edges are browned, take it out otherwise you’ll end up with burned granola.

after baking

I tried to show you the difference between the baked (in the pan) and the unbaked (in the bowl) above, but they look too similar on my camera. You can see that the edges of the pan are browned, though.

I immediately transfer the baked granola to another storage container to cool. As it cools, I use my hands to break it up into chunks.

granola

One batch filled 1/2 of one of those giant animal cracker containers. This will last us for quite awhile and it is so delicious when served on top of yogurt.

AUNT NANCY’S GRANOLA

10 cups oats
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup honey
3/4 cup canola oil
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups worth of dried fruit

Place nuts/seeds in skillet and toast over medium to medium-high heat until they reach desired toastiness. Place oats in a large bowl. In a microwave safe container, heat the brown sugar, honey and oil for 1.5 minutes to make it easier to stir and combine them. Add the toasted nuts to the oats and stir to combine. Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until everything is coated. Add the dried fruit. Stir to combine. In parchment lined jelly roll sheets, flatten granola into 1/2” thick layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, checking often. It’s done when the edges start to brown and the middle is firmer to the touch. Remember, it will harden more as it cools. Store in an airtight container and enjoy for many days/weeks on top of yogurt.

Personally, this version is much tastier and much healthier than any version you could buy in the store. It is also much more budget friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.