Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Saturday, May 2, 2009

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas


In honor of Cinco De Mayo (a few days early) and mainly just because I LOVE Mexican food, here is the recipe I'm making tonight. If I've posted this one before, my apologies...I just love it that much (and it's super easy)!

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas (recipe courtesy of Kraft Foods)
Makes: 6 servings, 2 enchiladas each

2½ cups chopped cooked chicken (see note below)
1 can (10¾ oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup (I use the reduced fat kind)
1 cup sour cream
8 oz. shredded Colby & Monterey Jack cheese (I use the light version)
¼ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
12 flour tortillas (8 inch)
1½ cups salsa
1 small can chopped green chilies (my addition…optional)

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix chicken, soup, ½ cup of the sour cream, 1 cup of the cheese, green chilies and 3 Tbsp. of the cilantro until well blended.

SPOON about ¼ cup of the chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place, seam sides down, in greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Top with the salsa and remaining cheese.

BAKE 25 min. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. cilantro; top with the remaining 1/2 cup sour cream.

NOTE: To cook the chicken, I drizzle a little olive oil in the bottom of a sauté pan over medium to medium high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and place seasoned side down in the pan. Season the other side of the chicken with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and place a heavy pot (I use a cast iron one) or brick on top of foil to weigh chicken down. Cook about 5-7 minutes and then flip chicken until all the way cooked. Cut or shred chicken into pieces. Cooking this way gives the chicken a nice brown and slightly crisp “crust” without the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.