Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmastime in NYC - Part I

Last week I had the opportunity to go to NYC two nights in a row. The first night was with hubby because some of his clients gave us free tickets to La Damnation de Faust at the Metropolitan Opera. We had never been to the opera before, so we were both excited to experience this.

Beforehand, we met up with one of hubby's good buddies for dinner at this delicious Mexican restaurant right next too Lincoln Center. It's called Rosa Mexicano and if you are ever in NYC and you love Mexican food, I highly recommend it. They make fresh guacamole right at your table tailored to your personal heat level. Their special drink is a pomegranate margarita, and their Budin de Pollo was out of this world.

Next it was on to the opera. We had been warned that it was a modern opera, but we didn't know the difference between modern and regular seeing how we had never been. It was all in French. We don't speak a lick of French. Thank goodness there were English subtitles on the back of each seat so you could follow along, but if you read them, you missed what was happening on stage. By the time intermission came, we both had to make a mad dash for the bathroom only to wait in the typical NYC theater line of 100 people or so wanting to do the same thing. We return to our seats and start admiring the beautiful plaster ceiling only to notice that they need to do a lot of renovations too. Then, our house renovating minds kick in and we start trying to figure out how tall of a scaffolding they'd need in order to accomplish that and realized it'd need to be taller than a 5 story building in order to reach the ceiling. Don't think you'll find me working on that plaster!

About 10 minutes before the end, I committed the unthinkable at the opera and feel asleep. Thankfully I wasn't snoring because hubby didn't even notice I feel asleep until I told him. I awoke when huge flames burst out as Faust entered hell.

Very fun night with hubby. Don't think we'll ever go to another opera again seeing how as my husband says you could really sum up the three hours in a few sentences: "Faust wasn't happy. Devil told Faust he'd make him happy. Faust sold soul to devil and ends up going to hell. The end." The food and fellowship beforehand and the ability to say we experienced the opera together, though, made it all a memorable evening.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Rosa Mexicano is AMAZING. It's the first restaurant Stephen took me to in NYC when we first started dating...aww, memories. And, we experienced our first opera a few weeks ago in KZ and I am not a fan, either. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.