Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Great Memorial Day Weekend

Hope you all had a fabulous holiday weekend and that you took some time to remember our brave men and women and their families who gave the ultimate sacrifice to provide us the freedom we enjoy in America today.

We couldn't have asked for a better weekend, but unfortunately, I was so distracted with all the goings-on that I didn't get one single picture! Bummer :(

I had a doctor's appointment on Thursday evening to see how our little turkey is doing (we got to see the spine and hear the heartbeat, but no facial profile, and thus no picture, because the turkey wasn't cooperating) and my doctor informed me that I need to start putting on more weight because one pound over the first 14 weeks wasn't cutting it for her. So, obeying doctor's orders, hubby and I used a gift card at On the Border Friday night to start off our holiday weekend. I was so stuffed with chips and salsa, cheese enchiladas, beef tacos and chili rellenos that I could only stomach one bite of hubby's delicious chocolate turtle empanadas he ordered for dessert. The next day I got on the scale and saw I gained 4 lbs.! Granted, most of that ended up being bloat (thank goodness) and by the time the whole weekend was over, I've put on 1.5 lbs. Nothing like being given the go ahead to gain weight right before a holiday weekend!

Saturday we had 3 families over from church for a BBQ and the inagural hayride and bonfire on our new land. Did I tell you that we purchased the land? I don't remember it's been so long. If not, I'll tell you about it later. Our contributions included homemade ice cream, hamburgers and hotdogs, baked beans, chips, fruit salad, and deviled eggs. Others brought pasta salad, potato salad, watermelon, cheesecake and a fruit tart. I had set the table and wrapped up the plasticware so cute that I wanted to take a picture to post on here, but completely spaced on it and by the time the 15 of us swarmed the table it was no longer photo-worthy. I also packaged up individual s'more making kits for the bonfire. They turned out so cute, but alas I forgot to get a photo of those as well. The kids loved feeding the cows, "driving" the tractor in the hayfields and going on a hayride. The bonfire seemed a little too much for them because as soon as we were done roasting marshmallows (about 3 minutes after we arrived) they began saying things like "is there a tv out here?", "I'm bored", "when are we going to leave?". You can take the people out of NYC, but you can't necessarily turn them into farm kids! Ha! All in all, it was a great day, but I was so exhausted by the end that I really took a beating on Sunday.

Sunday was another great day at church. We are so blessed to have such a great church family to serve and worship with that we really look forward to Sunday each week. One of the families we had over Saturday night wanted to return the favor (and I had sent them home with most the leftovers) so we went to their house after church and crashed and hung out until about 8:30pm. It was a great day!

Monday hubby and I took it easy and got some things done around the house, watched him walk in a death march parade that nobody shows up to watch (the things you have to do as mayor), watched our beloved Yankees cream the Indians, ordered in pizza and then got to experience being pioneers and reading by candlelight as we had a HUGE thunderstorm that lasted about two hours and took our power out from shortly before 7pm until about 4am this morning.

All in all, a fabulous holiday weekend. I'm already counting down how many days of work until the 4th of July and the next three day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.