Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thanksgiving Preparation - Menu


A couple Christmases ago, my mom gave my sister and I each a cookbook that had all the recipes she used while we were growing up and some new ones she's found. She also included the traditional menus we had for each holiday. Today, I still use my mom's basic menu for Thanksgiving with just a few small tweaks of my own.

Here's my menu for this holiday:

Main Course:
  • Turkey - We order a fresh one from our butcher friend and hubby is in charge of placing fresh herbs and butter between the skin and meat and then roasting it to perfection.

Side Dishes:

  • Stove Top Stuffing w/ Cranberries, Nuts, Apples

  • Sweet Potatoes - Sometimes I make a casserole, other times I do oven roasted

  • Rustic Mashed Potatoes

  • Green Bean Casserole - My hubby's favorite way to eat green beans. I never had this growing up and prefer the green beans my mom made, so we compromise and have hubby's version at Thanksgiving and my version at Christmas.

  • Corn Casserole - I got this recipe when I went home with one of my college roommates to her grandma's house in Ohio one year. I've made it every holiday since to rave reviews.

  • Cranberry Relish - Nothing fancy for me here. I prefer the stuff from the can and you have to have both the jellied and the whole berry versions!

  • Rolls

  • Orange Jello Salad - My hubby isn't a big jello fan, but even he likes this.

Drinks:

  • Cranberry Cocktails

Dessert:

  • Pumpkin Cheesecake

  • Pecan Pie

How about you? What is your menu for Thanksgiving? Any favorite dishes? Is your menu one you came up with, or one your family has been using for generations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.