Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Blackberries, Strawberries & Wine...Oh My!

Let me just say this...YUM!!!

Today was another birthday party at work and because I'm trying to be healthy, I decided to make a fruit based dessert instead of the plain ol' cupcake.

I took a box of angel food cake mix and used that to make 18 cupcakes and 1 9" loaf pan. To go with that, I found this recipe here (I also borrowed their picture because the guys at work ate it too quickly to snap my own):


3 c. fresh blackberries
3 c. fresh sliced strawberries
1 c. dry red wine (I used an Australian Cabernet-Merlot blend)
9 T. sugar (I only used 7)
9 grinds of black pepper

Place the washed berries in a large bowl. Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour on top of the berries. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to meld the flavors together (I let mine soak overnight). Serve the berries on top of the angel food cake with a dollop of whipped cream. Makes 12 generous servings.

I am not a big fan of red wine, and the pepper sounded really wierd to me, but I think I'm going to make all of my berries for shortcakes and pound cakes like this from now on it was that good!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I will have to give this a try as my honey LOVES red wine - what a great treat - and it's so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.