Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Another Birthday Cake

We had another birthday at work this month and because March is the month of St. Patty's Day, I decided to make the cake I saw on the cover of the Betty Crocker magazine in my grocery store's checkout line. Here is the recipe and some photos of my cake.

GRASSHOPPER FUDGE CAKE (makes 15 servings)
1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons mint (not peppermint) extract
3 egg whites
12 drops green food color
2 jars (16 oz each) hot fudge topping (I only used 1 jar)
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped toping, thawed (I used the "lite" version)
5 drops yellow food color
Andes crème de menthe chocolate candies, unwrapped and cut into pieces

1. Heat oven to 350°F for shiny metal or glass pan (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with baking spray with flour.

2. Make cake mix as directed on box, using water, oil, 1 1/2 teaspoon of the mint extract and the egg whites. Reserve 1 cup batter. Stir 3 drops of the green food color into reserved batter; set aside. Pour remaining batter into pan.

3. Drop green batter by generous tablespoonfuls randomly in 12 to 14 mounds onto batter in pan. Cut through batters with metal spatula or knife in S-shaped curves in on continuous motion. Turn pan 1/4 turn; repeat cutting for swirled design.

4. Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Run knife around side of pan to loose cake. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

5. Carefully spread fudge topping evenly over cake. In medium bowl, stir whipped topping, remaining 1/2 teaspoon extract, remaining 9 drops green food color and the yellow food color until blended. Spread whipped topping mixture evenly over fudge. Garnish with candy pieces.
Store covered in refrigerator.


Personally, I wasn't that crazy about the cake because I'm not that big of a mint fan, but the guys at work seemed to enjoy it. I don't think I'd make it again, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.