Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Whoopie Pies

Whoopie Pies

Growing up, our neighborhood would have a garage sale very summer. My brother, sister and I did our part to fatten up the neighborhood by hosting a lemonade stand where we’d sell drinks and our mom’s homemade whoopie pies. My mom only made these around garage sale time, so they were always a special treat. We loved them even more when they were freshly chilled from the freezer.

I haven’t had whoopie pies for about 5 years and I figured they’d be a perfect treat to bring for a birthday at work a few weeks ago. I don’t know if it’s the fact that my sweet-tooth flew out the window when our lil’ turkey showed up or what, but they were much sweeter than I remembered them being as a kid. While they were still good, I no longer craved one after another. Hubby wasn’t a big fan at all (which I wasn’t surprised…it’s not his type of dessert), but the guys at work devoured them in no time so they must still be delicious.

Here is the recipe if you care to make some of your own whoopie pies:

CAKES:
1 c. sugar
½ c. cocoa
½ c. shortening
1 egg
½ c. sour milk (1-1/2 t. vinegar and milk to equal half cup)
1 t. soda
½ c. HOT water
¼ t. salt
2 c. flour
1 t. vanilla

FILLING:
3 T. milk
1 egg white
1-1/2 t. vanilla
1-1/2 T. flour
3 c. powder sugar, divided
1-1/2 c. shortening

Preheat oven to 350. Cream together sugar, cocoa, shortening and egg. Add remaining cake ingredients. Drop by teaspoonful onto lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes. Let cool. Meanwhile make filling. Mix milk, egg white, vanilla, flour, and 1-1/2 c. powder sugar until combined. Add 1-1/2 c. shortening and remaining 1-1/2 c. powder sugar. Blend until smooth. Sandwich filling between two pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.