Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chocolate Mint Brownies

Today is my boss’s birthday and being that it’s the month of St. Patrick’s Day, I figured it fitting to have a “green” type of dessert.

I remembered times visiting my grandma around Christmas and the delicious brownies she’d make with a green mint layer. I thought these would be perfect. Sure enough…the boss devoured three within 5 minutes! I’m keeping how many calories he consumed to myself, though. Wouldn’t want to spoil his birthday.

Chocolate Mint Brownie
CHOCOLATE MINT BROWNIES
Makes: 5-6 dozen (I have no clue how because I only got 28)

BROWNIES:
1 cup flour
1 stick butter, softened
½ t salt
4 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 can (16 oz) Hershey syrup
1 c sugar

FILLING:
2 c powdered sugar
1 stick butter, softened
1 T water
½ t mint (or peppermint) extract
3 drops green food coloring

TOPPING:
1 package (10 oz) mint chocolate chips (see “Notes”)
1 stick butter

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into a greased 13 x 9 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (top of brownies will still appear wet).

Combine filling ingredients in a medium mixing bowl: beat until creamy. Spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate until set.

For topping, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Let cool for 30 minutes or until lukewarm, stirring occasionally. Spread over filling. Chill thoroughly before cutting. Store in the refrigerator.

NOTES: If you can’t find mint chocolate chips, simply add ½ t mint or peppermint extract to the plain chocolate chips. The topping called for 9 T of butter, but I only used 8. Also, I used “Promise” butter sticks and based the below calorie number on that.

According to my grandma, these get more moist by the day and they’re the greatest brownie you’ll ever eat. I haven’t had one yet today…I’m waiting until I get home with hubby…but I liked the spatula after making each layer last night and it sure was yummy!

CALORIES: When cut into 28 pieces, each serving contains about 255 calories.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh My Lordie!! two of my favorite things! Swaaaaeet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.