Esther 4:14b

"...and who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this."


Tuesday, October 20, 2009

DIY Day - Sock Monkey


Today is DIY day over at A Soft Place to Land. This week I'm linking up with one of my newest creations.

I just recently learned how to use my mother-in-law's sewing machine. If you've been here for any length of time, you know that I've wanted to learn how to use it for a long time but that it always freaked me out because it's one of those high speed commercial ones. This thing zips along with little room for error - unless you want to do a lot of seam ripping that is!

I finally learned how to use it because I've been assigned the job of sewing the velcro on the patches we have to make to stick on cows rears for one of the companies we run. Don't ask. It's part of life on a farm and all the different things associated with animal breeding.

Anyway, I decided to try my hand at making my oldest nephew a sock monkey for Christmas. Funds are a little tight this year so I'm trying to make as many things as possible. This project was CHEAP! All it cost me was the $3.24 for the pair of socks I found at Target. I already had the stuffing and buttons and thread. I orginally got the idea for the sock monkey from Monica at The Homespun Heart. She made them for her kids last Christmas. If you click over here, you'll find the link to the pattern/instructions we used.

So, what do you think? I'm pretty happy with the way he turned out and I think Braden will absolutely love him when he opens him on Christmas morning.

2 comments:

  1. I love sock monkeys. I have a really old one sitting on the bookcase in the t.v. room. I have seen the brightly colored ones and think they are so cute. Looks like you did a fine job.

    I will be back to visit... just started following you. (I read, about your big win... left a comment on that post too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have been wanting to make a sock monkey, but have been a bit intimidated about sewing stretchy knits. My sewing machine is a bit old and wonky. BTW, I got a chuckle about the cow butt patches. Wonder what kind of google searches will come your way now! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I love being able to interact with my readers, so please leave some way for me to contact you to respond if you're interested.